Number of Position: 1
Evening LINC 4 - Monday to Wednesday 6:30 - 9:00pm.
2.5 hours/week x 3 days/week plus prep = 9.375/week (Virtual class)
Language Instructors are responsible for delivering Canadian Language Benchmark (CLB)-based settlement English language services for newcomers to Canada according to Immigration, Refugees, and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) established language training outcomes. This position is responsible for planning lessons that utilizes and adapts classroom materials for teaching. Language Instructors are also responsible in setting up field trips, inviting guest speakers, and providing referrals to community resources for students when needed.
Reports to: Language Lead
Key Duties & Responsibilities:
- Develops daily lesson plans for newcomers to learn English in a practical manner that can be applied in the real world context
- Develops long term (monthly or longer) unit plans based on S.U.C.C.E.S.S. in-house curricula, core framework, and LINC Curriculum that are aligned with the CLBs
- Submits unit summaries and assessments
- Teaches classes in accordance with IRCC Language Training Outcomes
- Provides education on values such as diversity and inclusion
- Engages students to facilitate dialogue and learning
- Delivers courses and programs via various formats, such as in-person classroom and online settings
- Maintains and submits accurate records, including attendance sheets and progress reports
- Ensures student progress is tracked effectively and accurately
- Implements and incorporates Portfolio Based Language Assessment (PBLA) practices and Assessment for Learning principles as directed
- Disseminates class or program evaluation materials
- Identifies and communicates student/client needs and issues to the Language Lead for follow-up or referrals
- Contributes to the Tutela (IRCC online community of practice) platform
- Other related duties as assigned by the Language Lead
Education, Training & Experience:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Education is an asset
- TESL Canada and/or TESOL certificate or equivalent certification
- Minimum of 600 hours ESL teaching experience or completion of a supervised teaching practicum as a part of TESL/TESOL training program
- Minimum of 1 year’s adult teaching experience
- Experience in settlement/adaptation services is an asset
- Experience in the social services sector is an asset
- Experience with multicultural clientele and immigrant related services
- Knowledge of community resources for newcomers to Canada
- Knowledge of intercultural and social issues
- Knowledge of CLB-based language programs (ELSA/LINC)
- Knowledge of basic principles of classroom crisis management
Job Skills & Abilities:
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Additional languages are considered an asset
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Excellent technical skills in MS Office and web-based applications
- Excellent technical skills in classroom equipment, such as smartboard and document camera technology
- Excellent course planning, time management and organizational skills
- Ability to work independently and as a part of a team
- Ability to apply CLB level and competency to daily and monthly plans
- Ability to partake in continual professional development
- Criminal Record Check Required
- Able to work evenings and weekends as required
- Able to work at multiple locations in Greater Vancouver
S.U.C.C.E.S.S. is a multicultural social services agency and registered charity located on the unceded Coast Salish lands of the xʷməθkʷəy̓əm (Musqueam), Sḵwx̱wú7mesh (Squamish), and Səl̓ílwətaʔ/Selilwitulh (Tsleil-Waututh) Nations, S.U.C.C.E.S.S. has been helping Canadians and newcomers to achieve their full potential on their Canadian journey since 1973. We are one of the largest social service agencies in Canada, with offices in BC, Ontario and internationally/abroad. We offer programs and services in the areas of immigration, newcomer settlement, English-language training, employment and entrepreneurship, family, youth and seniors programming, health education, community development, affordable housing and seniors care.
S.U.C.C.ES.S. is an equal opportunity employer. We are dedicated to building an inclusive environment that embraces diversity of thought, backgrounds and experiences. We are committed to the equitable treatment of all individuals and will continue to embed diversity and inclusion principles within our policies, procedures, services, and activities.
Interested candidates please apply online by 11:59pm September 29, 2022.
While we appreciate all applications, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.